This week has been one of a variety of media and with that a variety of emotions came. I laughed, I cried, but also I learned a lot. I read a couple of novels, one manga, watched one TV show and movie.
Umbrella Academy Season 2
I binge watched this season in one day. The world is fascinating, the characters are unlikable yet likeable all at the same time, plus there are alot of layers involved. I think the reason I like this show rather than some of the other time traveling shows out there because it’s simpler as far as the rules and I think a lot more humorous. Additionally, especially in this season theres a lot more individual spotlights on all the characters (and one of my favorites had a lot more screen time which I appreciated). I think my only issue that to me, the show tried to put too much when it came to all of the political and diverse issues that was accomplished during the particular time period that was involved this season. It was still enjoyable, but it was just too much for one season to me. Because of these points, I have to give this a 4 out of 5 stars or 4 sushi 🍣 🍣 🍣🍣
Beyond the Mask
This movie was one my dad randomly put on. Its entertaining and romantic combining the American Revolution backdrop with a mercenary from the East India Company. The special effects of the world and action scenes were awesome as well. However, there were some unnecessary scenes and impossible feats that occurred that if you’re a strict history buff I do not think you’d be a fan. 3.5 out of 5 stars or 4 sushi 🍣 🍣🍣🍣.
I have seen the hype involved with this series and since I love stories involving myth etc. I decided to check this out.
• For a first volume I was at first a tad underwhelmed by where they stopped making it seem like if possible it could be an omnibus
• I feel for the leading lady from the very first page in the sense of it seems like she does not have anywhere to turn.
• When it comes to the potential love interests that come to light, there’s a clear winner but the other character could be surprising too (ill have to check out the next volume)
• The art is also beautiful especially when it comes to the water scenery
Overall, this is one ill definitely be keeping up with in the future especially now that it is complete. This volume however, was completely underwhelming 3 out of 5 stars or 3 sushi 🍣 🍣🍣.
I think I picked yet avoided this book for so long because of the intense subject matter of grief and organ donation.
• I was wanting to read this book because the subject matter is not something I have read before in a young adult novel.
• There’s taxidermy and VR systems in this story as well which was very fascinating but if those don’t interest you do not read this.
• The pros and cons of meeting organ recipients to families are also presented realistically in my opinion(sorry im trying not to spoil) but there were moments I just hated the main character I wanted him to relax. But then again I could have felt his motivations more if I related to him more (that’s a me thing not a book thing).
Overall, though I cannot directly relate to the main character, I think this is a fantastic young adult read about organ donation (I do not condone some of the criminal acts that happen in here however) I appreciate what it brings to the table plus it was entertaining. Because of these points, I have to give this a 4 out of 5 stars or 4 sushi 🍣🍣🍣🍣.
For the Win
This book was not what I expected to read in the best way.
• I expected fluffiness and hallmark like moments (and there are moments like that trust me) But there were also some dark undertones such as knowing that you can have more than one dream vs not and working with someone who has special needs because of varying circumstances (I won’t spoil for you).
• This is an ADULT novel with smut and trigger warnings for abuse and professional injuries.
Overall, I enjoyed this book although there are some moments that dragged. Because of these points, I have to give this a 4 out of 5 stars or 4 sushi 🍣 🍣🍣🍣.
The Week Ahead
The week ahead is going to be I think a more anime/manga week. I want to watch some anime and read some manga but I’m sure there’s going to be some other stuff sprinkled in there. What about you guys what did you read and watch this week? Lets talk about it!!!